Sukanya Samriddhi A/C

Small Savings Scheme, Govt Schemes, Online Banking Guide


Add a Comment
  1. Hello,

    Please consider warm greetings from me!

    I read details on Sukanya Samriddhi Account from this website. I am very impressed with this scheme and it is indeed helpful for the girl child’s better future. I am willing to open account but would like to clarify the question, I have.

    I am citizen of India and moved to US (3 years back) for temporary work assignment. My return to INDIA is expected to be 2017. I have 2 years old baby girl. She born in US only and hence she has US passport(US citizen). My baby has PIO/OCI card for INDIA and we frequently visit INDIA. Note that I pay tax and file returns in INDIA also.

    Would you please let me know if I am eligible to open account for my baby girl?

    Looking forward to hear right information soon. Thanks in advance for your help/effort.

    Best Regards,

    1. Hi Nileshgiri,

      Seems like your case is little different. So far there is no such thing declared for NRIs or people similar to your case. Wait for few more months for more clarity on Sukanya Samriddhi Account. Keep a track of this blog, as I am looking for all information regarding this scheme and will updated accordingly.

      1. Hello Santanu,
        My daughter falls in same category.. I am taking risk and applying for an account as I am residing in India now.

        Wondering how do you get further information on Foreign born child ? I don’t think the documents will ever provide such low level info.
        so my question is — what will happen if an account opened on foreign born child now ( as post master looks for valid documents – like birth certificate and aadhar card of parent) and later found that it is not a valid account? Do I lose money ? or will post office give money back with no interest ? or will they give some interest?


        1. @ Mr. Naidu, It is not legal for an NRI to make any investment under small saving schemes as per the guidelines of Reserve Bank of India. Also they can not hold any Resident Saving Account & PPF account.
          The moment your residential status changes to NRI, many rules & regulation in personal finance get applied. From the bank account to the properties, the rules change for all of them. Most of the people tend to ignore these rules. But one should always be aware that these are illegal in laws and will attract penalties.
          Sukanya Samriddhi Account being a small savings scheme governed by Post Office Savings Account Rules, a Non-Resident Indian (NRI) is not eligible to open this account. But for the exact clause on this, we can wait for the official notification to come.

  2. Is the interest amount that one get in sukanya samriddhi account is taxable or its tax free.

    1. Hi Mahendra,

      Sukanya Samriddhi Account has declared a EEE scheme in this Budget 2015, means it is completely tax free similar to PPf account. Check out the below article.

  3. Thank you so much Sir for providing the exact information to me. I would like to know more about the required documents which are mandatory for opening Sukanya Samriddhi Account as well as the banks where I can open Sukanya Samriddhi Account. Can you please tell us ???

    1. Hi Pankaj,

      Kindly check out the articles I have already published for required documents and list of banks where one can open Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme in this website.

  4. Heloo Mr. Santanu,

    i have a girl child DOB 21st November 2004, can i open Sukanaya account for her or not.

    kindly ifnrom

    thanks & Regards

    Suman SIngh

    1. Hi Suman,

      Yes, you can open this account for your girl child.

  5. My wife and myself are resident Indians with Indian citizenship living in India since 2010. But i was once a NRI from 2000 to 2010 and my daughter was born in US and has US citizenship with Indian person of origin card and she is going to school in India for last 5 years. Is she eligible for opening Sukanya. i went to post office and i am still waiting on a response from them . Any official clarification you have ?
    for a resident Indian family opening a Sukanya account for a person haveing US citizenship with Indian person of origin card?

    1. Hi, paul,

      did you get any official reply.. i am in same boat as you. please update me.

  6. Hello,
    What happens to the PPF account holders whose resedential status changes from citizen of india to OCI card holders after few years ?


  7. Hello,

    Both Parents are Indian and leaving in India. We have a daughter who in PIO/OCI (Born in US and holds US passport). We moved back to India in 2004 and our daughter is leaving in India for 9+ years. Are we eligible to open SSA for our daughter? We have no plans to return to US.

    1. Hi Nitin,
      Did you guys got any official answer?

  8. Hello Sir- please do confirm in line with 1) to 4)

    I have been living in Japan since 2005 holding Indian nationality. I got married in Jan 2015 and my wife also holds an Indian passport.
    I was blessed with a baby girl in May 2016 (born in Japan) and she also holds an Indian passport (so we all are Indian).
    However, as per the definition we are considered as NRI but now my wife coming back to India in Aug 2016 and planning to settle there (she lived in Japan around 1 year)
    Based on above,

    1) Are we eligible for applying SSY for our daughter?
    2) Does both of us need to present for applying SSY or only wife attendance is okay for opening SSY?
    3) In future if my wife and daughter comes back to Japan, is there any impact on SSY?
    4) If me of my daughter change nationality (not my wife) after opening SSY, is there any impact on scheme?

    Kind regards

    1. I think after coming back to India, this is possible as you have Indian nationality. But better to ask bank or post office.


    1. Please use the SSA calculator to know your maturity amount.

  10. Hi,

    We already have a Sukanya Samriddhi for our daughter for the last 3 years(opened it while we were in India). We’re currently in Canada and most likely to settle down here atlast for the next couple of years until we get out Canadian Citizenship.

    My question is, when we do become Canadian citizens(meaning we’ll have to give up our Indian citizenship), would we be eligible to withdraw the money after our daughter turns 18?

    Knowing this would help us determine if we should continue with this investment.

    Would appreciate your advice!


  11. Bhupendra Singh mehta

    Hi I can increase amount in second year at ssy scheme. First year deposited amount was 24 thousands, now I want 50 thousands per year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sukanya Samriddhi Account © 2016 Frontier Theme